Brushing continues to be an extremely popular finish in 2013.
Many fabricators are wanting to use their CNC machine or Radial Arm machines to create the same look from standard polished slabs.
Tenax has made this process so much easier, better, and more consistent with the Filiflex and Airflex diamond brushes over the last couple of years.
Now, to make it easier, Tenax has introduced a more simple way of ordering the brushes.
Our Brush kit is the perfect way to make sure you get the exact tools you need to create an outstanding brush/leather/antique finish.
Just choose the kit that fits your plate- either 3 head or 4 head.
We also provide in the tool box a quick guide for how to use the brushes on different stones, with different looks.
Abrasive Sequences below are for,
- CNC Frankfurt Plates
- Radial Arm machines
- Achilli Floor machines
When using these type systems,
- Pressure – All stones will be different, but like all polishing, the operator must watch how the abrasives are cutting, watch the slurry. With the CNC plates, compress the springs a little,
- Speed – The operator must watch how the abrasives are cutting, if they are not cutting, slow the travel speed
- Water – Important to have good water flow, the more the better
- Spindle speed – In the manufacturing the RPM is normally 450-550, this slower speed is important for the brushes, too fast and they do not pick the stone very well.
Antique Finish = any type stone can have this type finish applied, the brushes picks the soft grains and rolls over the harder grains. This is a textured finish that is very easy to produce with automatic or manual machines. This finish is also called Leather, River wash.
How to “Antiqued finish” Starting from a saw cut or polished surface:
Start with the metal diamond abrasive, make sure to remove all cutting marks, if any cut marks / drags were left on the stone, you will be able to see them in the finish. Then follow with the diamond wire brush.
- Stone that has large & small grain will do better than tight grain. * * Tight grain needs to be flamed 1st like (Absolute black)
- For Granites and hard type stones – The Diamond wire brush will speed the process; these are very aggressive brushes. Diamond wire brushes are available in (36, 46, 60) all 3 types are not required in a sequence, it’s all depending the stones hardness and to the effect desired in the end finish. But in most cases with the Diamond wire brushes on granite, the more cycles, the deeper the texture.
- For Marbles the Diamond wire brushes may be too aggressive,
- Now use the 36 Antique brushes Filiflex, this step will determine the finish look, more cycles the deeper the look, there’s no standard here, only preference. (multiple headed machines use 2 or 3 heads of the 36)
- Follow with the 46, 2 cycles will always help; it just makes the surface a smoother more flowing look.
- 60 – 1 cycle
- 120 – 1 cycle
- 220 – 1 cycle
- 300 – 1 cycle
- 400 – 1 cycle for more color
- At this stage the slab will look medium colored like a honed look and should have good texture,
- There’s 2 ways to go here, (on the big line machines TENAX uses the 220/300/400/600/ 800 Antique brushes, (brings out the natural colors). But most companies with single head machines use the AGER or AGER Tiger here, because of time.
- Before using the AGER or AGER Tiger, make sure the slab is very dry, or the AGER will only go as deep as the water inside the slab, if there is still water inside, sometime there will be light & dark spots resulting in a leopard effect.
*** Pressure on Brushes = should be low maybe 1/2 bar or less, light. = pressure will do nothing but wear the brushes faster. “Needs time running / not pressure” (*100% Water)
TENAX – “Antique Finishes”
|Deep Brush Granite||Medium Brush Granite||Light Brush Granite||Deep Marble Brush||Marble Brush|
|Metal Diamond 36||Metal Diamond 36||Metal Diamond 36||Metal Diamond 36 or 46||Metal Diamond 36 or 46|
|36 Diamond Wire||46 Diamond Wire||60 Diamond Wire||60 Diamond Wire||36 FiliFlex Extra|
|46 Diamond Wire||60 Diamond Wire||46 FiliFlex Extra||46 FiliFlex Extra||46 FiliFlex Extra|
|60 Diamond Wire||46 FiliFlex Extra||60 FiliFlex Extra||60 FiliFlex Extra||60 FiliFlex Extra|
|46 FiliFlex Extra||60 FiliFlex Extra||120 AirFlex||120 AirFlex||120 AirFlex|
|60 FiliFlex Extra||120 AirFlex||220 AirFlex||220 AirFlex||220 AirFlex|
|120 AirFlex||220 AirFlex||300 Airflex||300 Airflex||300 Airflex|
|220 AirFlex300 Airflex||300 Airflex|
*Always check to make sure each step has time to clean the previous, especially after the metal diamond. Diamond scratch marks if not removed will stand out in the final finish.
If you have questions, comments, or want to know more, please contact us: